Friday 27 June 2014

Siberian Gold Tigers Commission - Day 43...and some stuff about highlighting...

 Day 43 moved along at a pretty good speed (aided by 5 more episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation: Season 5 and 4 episodes of Dynasty Season 7).

As you can see, with a design like this I focus on doing an entire colour before moving on to the next; gradually building up the image. Other people, I know, work on a grid basis and do blocks of varying sizes on the chart - I do the same if working on a picture with a lot of confetti stitching. My (forthcoming) Indiana Jones picture is done this way.

But, for the tigers the 'colour' method works best for me.

As such, here's what I do. First and foremost, buy a pack of these:


 Why? Because they are an absolute essential in my experience. They help to keep track of where I am on a chart as I stitch. But, they also take a certain amount of thought out of stitching, which helps me to keep a decent speed - very useful on a commission piece.

I highlight the symbol I'm going to be stitching in one colour (pink in the picture below). Then, when I've stitched that colour, I go over it in another colour (blue) so I know it's done.

A side effect of this is the gradual disappearance of the white paper gives a great sense of achievement because I know I'm making progress.



 Everyone works differently. My aim here is just to show how I work and hope that I can make this hobby a little more enjoyable for someone.

HAPPY STITCHING!

3 comments:

  1. I use the same method both in stitching and highlighting. I have some digital magazines that don't allow for mark ups but if it's a PDF I either print it out or use FoxIt on my Nook so I can mark it up. I recently purchased some readable highlighter but haven't had a chance to use them yet for cross stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do almost the same, but I use yellow to start and blue to go over, so yellow = unstitched, green = stitched and blue (goodness forfend) means I have missed a stitch and need to go find it and fix it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do almost the same, but I use yellow to start and blue to go over, so yellow = unstitched, green = stitched and blue (goodness forfend) means I have missed a stitch and need to go find it and fix it

    ReplyDelete